10 Healthy Snacks You Won't See Advertised on TV
Let’s face it: obesity and diabetes have reached epidemic proportions in our country. You may hear a segment about that on the news, usually followed by a commercial for a high-calorie, fat-laden snack. Those packaged products are cheap to make and sell—and the companies that make them don’t care what they’re doing to your waistline or your health.
Here are 10 better snacks to keep on hand that will improve your health:
1. Unsweetened applesauce, seasoned with cinnamon which helps to balance your blood sugar.
2. Raw nuts and seeds—just remember they’re high in calories, so eat a small handful at a time. Two tablespoons equals one serving.
3. Fresh vegetables—keep them cut up in the fridge, and enjoy them with low-fat dressing.
4. Fresh fruits like apples, berries, cherries, and peaches. But go easy on the bananas, which are high in calories and sugar.
5. String cheese—part-skim, individually wrapped one-ounce servings contain only 80 calories and 7 grams of protein.
6. Edamame—you can buy this delicious soybean snack frozen and shell them as you eat them.
7. Whole grain pita bread cut into wedges, dipped in hummus.
8. Plain nonfat yogurt, sweetened with stevia or xylitol. You can also mix with fruit.
9. Frozen fruits packed without sugar—mix with plain nonfat yogurt in the blender to make a delicious smoothie. If you’d like you can sweeten it with a bit of xylitol or stevia.
10. Hardboiled egg—make ahead of time for an easy, protein-rich snack. One whole egg a day, plus unlimited egg whites, are perfectly acceptable.
Now it’s your turn: What’s your favorite snack?
You May Also Be Interested In:
Enjoy What You've Just Read?
Get it delivered to your inbox! Signup for E-News and you'll get great content like you've just read along with other great tips and guides for Dr. Whitaker!
Meet Dr. Whitaker
For more than 30 years, Dr. Julian Whitaker has helped people regain their health with a combination of therapeutic lifestyle changes, targeted nutritional support, and other cutting-edge natural therapies. He is widely known for treating diabetes, but also routinely treats heart disease and other degenerative diseases. More About Dr. Whitaker
Dr. Julian Whitaker's Favorites
Ensure healthy blood sugar, balanced insulin levels and all-day energy.
Get a restful, recharging night's sleep -- tonight and every night.
18 powerful, clinically researched nutrients for total eye health
Item# REG (Packets)
Make GREAT HEALTH your top priority with the advanced nutritional foundation in Forward