Thanksgiving will be here in just a few days, kicking off the official start of the holiday season. And although the upcoming weeks are an opportunity to enjoy the fellowship of family and friends, it is also a time of unparalleled stress. Here are some recommendations to help you de-stress, relax, and stay healthy throughout the holiday season.
- Exercise. Even if it’s only for 20 minutes, exercise really does relieve stress and increase your long-term energy level. In addition to regularly-scheduled exercise, try to incorporate physical activity into your everyday “to-do” list. For example, park far away from the mall entrance—this should be easy since the lot will probably be full anyway—and take the stairs rather than the elevator while you’re shopping.
- Be sure to take a potent multivitamin daily. This will give you the vitamins and minerals necessary for optimal health, vitality, and energy—and help you make it through the very busy days of December.
- Get a massage. It feels fantastic and has true therapeutic value. A massage promotes healthy circulation, enhances immune system function, and helps eliminate toxins from your lymphatic system. Above all, massage relaxes and de-stresses you like nothing else.
- Make time for yourself. If you don't take enough time for yourself during the holidays, you run the risk of wearing yourself out. Reserve an hour a day for you to read, watch a movie, or meditate.
- Bolster your immune system. Give your immune system some extra support as the weather turns colder. You can do this by increasing your intake of vitamin C to 500-1,000 mg several times a day and using these immune-boosting secrets.
- Finally, getting enough sleep is the key to rejuvenating your body, mind, and spirit. To help you wind down at the end of the day, try drinking a cup of valerian or chamomile tea. Adding a hot bath and soothing music can also help promote a restful night's sleep.
Now it’s your turn: How do you overcome holiday stress?