7 Secret Weapons for Successful New Year's Resolutions
If you've ever tried to quit smoking, swear off sugar, or kick caffeine, you know the symptoms of withdrawal: headaches, irritability, fatigue, depression, anxiety, and insomnia. These symptoms can be enough to derail even the most committed among us.
Fortunately, withdrawal symptoms can be eased considerably with these seven secret weapons:
1. Buffered vitamin C is particularly helpful for those addicted to nicotine, alcohol, and sugar. Take 500-1,000 mg whenever you feel a craving, up to a maximum of 10,000 mg per day (high doses may cause GI upset).
2. The mineral chromium helps to balance blood sugar levels and curbs cravings for sugar. Take 200-400 mcg per day of chromium picolinate or polynicotinate. Another aid to reduce sugar cravings is Gymnema sylvestre, 400 mg per day.
3. The amino acid l-glutamine is a tried-and-true therapy for alcohol cravings that also works for sugar cravings. Take 250-500 mg up to three times a day. To stop intense cravings, open a capsule and let the contents dissolve on your tongue. At the Whitaker Wellness Institute, we recommend 2-4 capsules per day of Anxiety Control. It contains glutamine and other amino acids that act on brain receptors to deactivate your emotional alarm center.
4. To minimize caffeine withdrawal, wean yourself off by brewing or mixing your coffee with small amounts of an herbal coffee or coffee substitute. Gradually (over a two- or three-week period) increase the amount of herbal coffee or substitute while decreasing the coffee.
5. If you crave chocolate, try drinking tea made from anise, fennel, and licorice root. These herbs contain natural sugars that stabilize blood sugar levels and diminish the cravings for sweets.
6. The craving for sweet and creamy foods that are high in fat may be triggered by a deficiency of the mineral zinc. Take 30 mg zinc daily. And avoid crash dieting—a rapid loss of body fat can trigger the craving for fatty foods.
7. Sulfonil, a sulfur-based compound that binds to the nicotine receptors in your brain, is a natural antidote for cigarette cravings. Taking two capsules every four to six hours throughout the day will get you through the two to three weeks it takes for the biochemical addiction to nicotine to dissipate. Sulfonil is available directly from the manufacturer, Thorne Research at 800-228-1966 or www.thorne.com, or through your healthcare provider or pharmacy.
Now it’s your turn: Do you have a secret for kicking a bad habit?
You may also be interested in:
The Secret to Successful New Year’s Resolutions
5 Weight Loss Myths, Debunked
Enjoy What You've Just Read?
Get it delivered to your inbox! Signup for E-News and you'll get great content like you've just read along with other great tips and guides for Dr. Whitaker!
Meet Dr. Whitaker
For more than 30 years, Dr. Julian Whitaker has helped people regain their health with a combination of therapeutic lifestyle changes, targeted nutritional support, and other cutting-edge natural therapies. He is widely known for treating diabetes, but also routinely treats heart disease and other degenerative diseases. More About Dr. Whitaker
Dr. Julian Whitaker's Favorites
Ensure healthy blood sugar, balanced insulin levels and all-day energy.
Get a restful, recharging night's sleep -- tonight and every night.
18 powerful, clinically researched nutrients for total eye health
Item# REG (Packets)
Make GREAT HEALTH your top priority with the advanced nutritional foundation in Forward