Are You Protecting Your Vision?
Take this quiz to see how you’re doing:
1. Do you eat at least five servings of vegetables and fruits each day? Plant foods are powerhouses of protective nutrients that help prevent degenerative eye diseases.
2. Do you include several weekly servings of spinach, collard greens, and other leafy greens? Leafy greens are great sources of lutein and zeaxanthin, carotenoids abundant in the eyes that filter out harmful radiation.
3. Do you eat several eggs a week? Egg yolks are nature’s richest source of lutein and zeaxanthin. Aim for no more than one yolk a day.
4. Do you take a daily high-potency multivitamin with high doses of antioxidants? You simply can’t rely on diet alone to provide the levels of antioxidants you need for optimal eye health. Antioxidants, including vitamins A, C, and E, beta-carotene and other carotenoids, and zinc protect the eyes from light-induced free-radical damage.
5. Do you take supplements containing bilberry, Ginkgo biloba, taurine, and other nutrients that target the eyes? Scores of studies demonstrate the protective effects of certain nutrients on the eyes. Bilberry improves night vision and visual acuity, Ginkgo biloba enhances ocular circulation and boosts collagen production, and taurine protects against degenerative diseases of the eyes. The best way to ensure that you are getting optimal doses of these nutrients is through supplementation.
6. Do you drink judicious amounts of red wine? Wine contains beneficial phytochemicals and has been shown to reduce risk of macular degeneration by 19 percent. A glass of red wine a day may help preserve your vision. If you don’t want to drink alcohol, try red grape juice instead.
Now it’s your turn: Are you doing any of these things to protect your vision?
You may also be interested in:
Research Alert: New Help for Glaucoma
Diabetes and Retinopathy
Enjoy What You've Just Read?
Get it delivered to your inbox! Signup for E-News and you'll get great content like you've just read along with other great tips and guides for Dr. Whitaker!
Meet Dr. Whitaker
For more than 30 years, Dr. Julian Whitaker has helped people regain their health with a combination of therapeutic lifestyle changes, targeted nutritional support, and other cutting-edge natural therapies. He is widely known for treating diabetes, but also routinely treats heart disease and other degenerative diseases. More About Dr. Whitaker
Dr. Julian Whitaker's Favorites
Ensure healthy blood sugar, balanced insulin levels and all-day energy.
Get a restful, recharging night's sleep -- tonight and every night.
18 powerful, clinically researched nutrients for total eye health
Item# REG (Packets)
Make GREAT HEALTH your top priority with the advanced nutritional foundation in Forward