Easy Ways to Eat More Fruits and Vegetables
On average, Americans only consume three servings of fruits and vegetables each day. And that’s a crying shame. Study after study reveals that people who regularly eat five-plus servings of nature’s bounty enjoy several health benefits.
Want to decrease your risk of stroke by 26 percent? Eat five or more servings per day. Want to lose weight? Focus on eating more fiber-rich vegetables. Want to combat free radical damage that can lead to a variety of health concerns? Load up on antioxidant-rich fruits.
You see where this is going. If you want to get thinner and healthier, you need to follow Mom’s advice and eat those veggies (and fruits). If you can make them organic, all the better. The following are 10 easy ways to incorporate more of these healthful foods into your daily routine.
- Drink a glass of Low-Sodium V8 Juice with breakfast. (At the Whitaker Wellness Institute, this is the only “juice” that you’ll find on the tables.)
- Eat an apple or a pear for a snack or before a meal to help fill you up so you’ll eat less.
- Instead of a sandwich at lunch, have a salad with lots of colorful veggies. If you must have the sandwich, go open-face and pile it high with tomatoes, lettuce, onion, sprouts, olives, and peppers.
- Freeze a bunch of grapes and enjoy them as an afternoon treat or as “dessert.”
- Make a berry smoothie using plain, non-fat yogurt, ice, and a little stevia or xylitol as a sweetener.
- Top your fish dishes with mango salsa.
- Try a grilled portabella mushroom for dinner.
- Add extra frozen veggies to canned or homemade soups or other dishes.
- Dip snap peas, baby tomatoes, carrots, celery, or broccoli florets in hummus for a tasty and healthy snack.
- Add blueberries, cranberries, or strawberries to your salads.
Enjoy What You've Just Read?
Get it delivered to your inbox! Signup for E-News and you'll get great content like you've just read along with other great tips and guides for Dr. Whitaker!
Meet Dr. Whitaker
For more than 30 years, Dr. Julian Whitaker has helped people regain their health with a combination of therapeutic lifestyle changes, targeted nutritional support, and other cutting-edge natural therapies. He is widely known for treating diabetes, but also routinely treats heart disease and other degenerative diseases. More About Dr. Whitaker
Dr. Julian Whitaker's Favorites
Ensure healthy blood sugar, balanced insulin levels and all-day energy.
Get a restful, recharging night's sleep -- tonight and every night.
18 powerful, clinically researched nutrients for total eye health
Item# REG (Packets)
Make GREAT HEALTH your top priority with the advanced nutritional foundation in Forward