Are You at Heightened Risk of Nutritional Deficiencies?
These factors deplete nutrients and increase the need for using supplements
In addition to age, other conditions can increase the risk of nutritional deficiencies—and your need for using supplements. These conditions include:
- Diabetes. Diabetes is a nutritional wasting disease; elevated blood sugar levels lead to increased urination and losses of water-soluble nutrients.
- Cancer. Most people afflicted with cancer die of cachexia, or nutritional wasting, brought on by the disease.
- Depression. Loss of appetite is common in depression.
- Celiac, Crohn’s, and inflammatory bowel disease. Damage to the intestines leads to impaired absorption and acute risk of nutritional deficiencies.
- Dementia. People with Alzheimer’s and other forms of dementia often neglect the basics of self-care, including eating.
- Heart failure. Muscle wasting in this condition increases nutrient requirements.
- Eating disorders or frequent dieting. Inadequate food intake may lead to deficiency states.
- Post-surgery or -injury. Nutrient needs skyrocket following surgery or injury, and this can lead to deficiencies in vitamin C, zinc, key amino acids, and other nutrients.
- Hospitalization. Prolonged hospital stays are notorious for bringing on or worsening malnutrition.
- Drugs. Certain drugs—including digitalis, Parkinson’s medications, and some antidepressants—blunt appetite. Others deplete the body of specific nutrients.
WATCH: Dr. Whitaker Explains Why Virtually Everyone Is Deficient in Vitamin D3
More Dr. Whitaker Advice on Nutritional Support
Enjoy What You've Just Read?
Get it delivered to your inbox! Signup for E-News and you'll get great content like you've just read along with other great tips and guides for Dr. Whitaker!
Meet Dr. Whitaker
For more than 30 years, Dr. Julian Whitaker has helped people regain their health with a combination of therapeutic lifestyle changes, targeted nutritional support, and other cutting-edge natural therapies. He is widely known for treating diabetes, but also routinely treats heart disease and other degenerative diseases. More About Dr. Whitaker
Dr. Julian Whitaker's Favorites
Ensure healthy blood sugar, balanced insulin levels and all-day energy.
Get a restful, recharging night's sleep -- tonight and every night.
18 powerful, clinically researched nutrients for total eye health
Item# REG (Packets)
Make GREAT HEALTH your top priority with the advanced nutritional foundation in Forward