Take this list to the store to make sure you’re purchasing the best product
It’s easy to become overwhelmed by choices when you step into a health food store. Here’s a summary of what you need to keep in mind as you select your supplements:
- Read labels carefully.
- Make sure supplements contain the appropriate levels of key nutrients.
- Select the right nutrient form, i.e., natural forms of vitamin E and beta-carotene.
- Avoid products that contain artificial colors, flavors, and excessive additives and fillers.
- Buy from reputable manufacturers.
- Realize that price often has some bearing on overall quality.
- Be aware that seals of approval—or lack thereof—are not the most valid determination of a supplement’s quality.
- Consider the specific amounts of EPA and DHA when purchasing fish oil.
- Look for standardized extracts of most herbs.
- Check expiration dates—if a product doesn’t have one, don’t buy it.
- Don’t fall for marketing hype. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.