Mini-Fast With Exercise Clinical Trial Summary
See what science says about the effectiveness of the mini-fast with exercise program
The mini-fast with exercise was tested in a 2009 clinical trial and published in the journal Medical Hypotheses. Study volunteers met the following criteria:
- Average weight of 199 pounds
- BMI (body mass index) of 32.2 (30 and over is considered obese)
- Average waist circumference of 42.6 inches
- Average fasting insulin of 13.2 IU/mL (a level indicative of insulin resistance)
What the Study Participants Did
Participants were instructed on the program specifics:
- No food before noon
- Aerobic exercise while in the fasting state
- No other food restrictions besides a healthy diet throughout the remainder of the day (i.e., low-fat, low-glycemic foods)
- Most of the volunteers walked three to five days a week and built up to 45 minutes. On the days they did not exercise, they simply fasted until noon. They didn’t count calories and the researchers did not monitor their diets.
How They Fared
After 12 weeks, these folks lost an average of 16 pounds of fat (25 percent of their initial fat mass), plus three inches around the waist. The biggest losers were a man and woman who respectively lost an astonishing 44 and 31 pounds of fat! In addition, the group’s fasting insulin level fell by one-quarter, into the normal range.
Get more details by reading the study abstract.
More Dr. Whitaker Advice on Weight Loss
Enjoy What You've Just Read?
Get it delivered to your inbox! Signup for E-News and you'll get great content like you've just read along with other great tips and guides for Dr. Whitaker!
Meet Dr. Whitaker
For more than 30 years, Dr. Julian Whitaker has helped people regain their health with a combination of therapeutic lifestyle changes, targeted nutritional support, and other cutting-edge natural therapies. He is widely known for treating diabetes, but also routinely treats heart disease and other degenerative diseases. More About Dr. Whitaker
Dr. Julian Whitaker's Favorites
Ensure healthy blood sugar, balanced insulin levels and all-day energy.
Get a restful, recharging night's sleep -- tonight and every night.
18 powerful, clinically researched nutrients for total eye health
Item# REG (Packets)
Make GREAT HEALTH your top priority with the advanced nutritional foundation in Forward