Sopa de tortillas is always a crowd pleaser
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 14 ½ ounces (1 can) low-sodium tomatoes, canned, chopped, with juice
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 large chicken breast, diced (or 1 ½ cups diced cooked chicken)
- 2 chipotle chilies canned in adobo sauce, chopped, with a little sauce
- 1 cup baked unsalted tortilla chips, coarsely crushed (optional)
- ¾ cup low-sodium cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, grated
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 2 limes, quartered
Place broth, water, tomatoes and juice, onion, garlic, cilantro, cumin, chicken, and chilies in a large saucepan. Heat to boiling, reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes. (Dicing chicken is much easier when chicken is partially frozen.)
To serve, place 1-2 tablespoons of crushed tortilla chips in each soup bowl (optional) and ladle soup over tortillas. Garnish with 1 tablespoon each cheese and avocado. Serve with lime wedges.
Per Serving: 317 calories; 12g fat; 22g protein; 33g carbohydrate; 4g dietary fiber; 34mg cholesterol; 389mg sodium
Enjoy What You've Just Read?
Get it delivered to your inbox! Signup for E-News and you'll get great content like you've just read along with other great tips and guides for Dr. Whitaker!
Meet Dr. Whitaker
For more than 30 years, Dr. Julian Whitaker has helped people regain their health with a combination of therapeutic lifestyle changes, targeted nutritional support, and other cutting-edge natural therapies. He is widely known for treating diabetes, but also routinely treats heart disease and other degenerative diseases. More About Dr. Whitaker
Dr. Julian Whitaker's Favorites
Ensure healthy blood sugar, balanced insulin levels and all-day energy.
Get a restful, recharging night's sleep -- tonight and every night.
18 powerful, clinically researched nutrients for total eye health
Item# REG (Packets)
Make GREAT HEALTH your top priority with the advanced nutritional foundation in Forward