Lifestyle Changes More Effective Than Drugs for Diabetes
Research published in the respected medical journal The Lancet confirms what I’ve been saying for years: Natural treatments for diabetes are more effective than drugs.
This 10-year follow-up study revealed that high-risk adults following a program of lifestyle changes were able to reduce their risk of developing full-blown diabetes by 58 percent. In contrast, in a comparable group given the oral diabetes drug metformin, incidence of diabetes was reduced by 31 percent.
Though conventional medicine relies heavily on oral diabetes drugs, these medications are replete with serious side effects, including cardiovascular problems such as heart attack and stroke as well as substantial weight gain.
To find out that they aren’t even all that effective—on top of these risks—makes you question why such medications are ever prescribed. But that’s another story.
At the Whitaker Wellness Institute, we focus on the following natural diabetes treatments to help you control blood sugar once and for all.
- Weight Loss: Hands down, losing weight is the best type 2 diabetes treatment. Unfortunately, there’s no magic bullet for weight loss. It requires diet changes, an exercise program, and determination. Fortunately, my Diabesity Challenge can help you get started.
- Diet: The most therapeutic diet for diabetes is a low-glycemic, Mediterranean-style menu with lots of vegetables and lean protein, such as fish and poultry; modest amounts of fruit (one serving per day); and healthful fats like olive oil. Stay away from sugar and starches—pasta, cereals, and other grain-based foods drive up blood sugar and increase appetite.
- Exercise: I recommend a brisk 30-minute walk every morning and several sessions of resistance exercise weekly. Walking and other forms of aerobic exercise lower blood sugar and burn calories, while resistance exercise such as weightlifting builds muscle and improves long-term insulin sensitivity.
- Nutritional Supplements: To guard against diabetes complications of the blood vessels, nerves, eyes, and kidneys, take a potent, antioxidant-rich daily multivitamin to replace the nutrients that are inevitably lost as a result of the diabetic condition.
To lower blood sugar, take the following supplements for diabetes in these daily dosages. They may be taken individually or in combination formulas.
- Vanadyl sulfate (100 mg)
- Alpha lipoic acid (600 mg)
- Chromium (200 mcg)
- Cinnamon (500–1,000 mg)
- Gymnema sylvestre (400 mg)
Enjoy What You've Just Read?
Get it delivered to your inbox! Signup for E-News and you'll get great content like you've just read along with other great tips and guides for Dr. Whitaker!
Meet Dr. Whitaker
For more than 30 years, Dr. Julian Whitaker has helped people regain their health with a combination of therapeutic lifestyle changes, targeted nutritional support, and other cutting-edge natural therapies. He is widely known for treating diabetes, but also routinely treats heart disease and other degenerative diseases. More About Dr. Whitaker
Dr. Julian Whitaker's Favorites
Ensure healthy blood sugar, balanced insulin levels and all-day energy.
Get a restful, recharging night's sleep -- tonight and every night.
18 powerful, clinically researched nutrients for total eye health
Item# REG (Packets)
Make GREAT HEALTH your top priority with the advanced nutritional foundation in Forward