The Natural Approach to Heart Disease
The Natural Approach to Heart Disease
Learn my drug-free approaches to fight the cause of heart disease: inflammation
Prescription drugs, along with invasive procedures such as angioplasty and bypass surgery, are the treatments of choice of conventional physicians for patients with cardiovascular disease. But all of these treatments come with a host of side effects and research shows they may not be effective for many people.
What you need is a program that addresses all the known risk factors for heart attack, stroke, and other cardiovascular disorders.
Fight Inflammation and Other Contributing Factors
Along with high cholesterol, inflammation is a primary cause of heart disease. Harvard researchers have discovered that a high blood level of C-reactive protein, a marker of inflammation, may be more predictive of heart disease than cholesterol.
To get a handle on inflammation, you should:
- Lose weight—especially if you carry excess fat in the abdominal area
- Stop smoking
- Eat plenty of vegetables and several weekly servings of salmon, sardines, and other omega-3 fatty acids
- Avoid sugars and starches
The beauty of this program is that it targets not only inflammation but other conditions that contribute to cardiovascular disease, including high blood pressure, diabetes, even cholesterol. Best of all, it’s a foundation for overall good health.
Your program should include a well-rounded nutritional supplement regimen, as well.
- Fish oil (2–8 g daily) is my number-one suggestion for inflammation. This supplement also improves blood flow, discourages excess clotting, helps normalize heart rhythm, and saves lives by reducing risk of sudden cardiac death.
- Folic acid and other B-complex vitamins are important because they lower levels of homocysteine, a toxic amino acid that damages the arteries. A therapeutic multi should contain above-RDA levels of folic acid and other B vitamins.
- Magnesium (500–1,000 mg daily) relaxes the arterial walls, which improves blood flow, lowers blood pressure, and helps prevent arrhythmias.
- Antioxidants, such as vitamins C and E, provide protection against damaging free radicals—another contributor to cardiovascular disease. A therapeutic multi should contain adequate amounts of antioxidants.
Supplements that boost the heart’s energy are recommended as well.
- Coenzyme Q10 (200–300 mg daily) increases the heart muscle’s efficiency and protects against the adverse effects of statin drugs.
- D-ribose (15 g daily), a natural sugar that is the structural backbone of adenosine triphosphate (ATP), the energy that fuels cellular function, is also helpful.
Don’t Fret About Cholesterol
As far as cholesterol lowering is concerned, there are a number of natural therapies that work well, including:
- Flaxseed (1/4 cup freshly ground seed per day) and other sources of fiber
- Niacin (500–1,500 mg daily in the regular form, not niacinamide or no-flush niacin; build up gradually and take at bedtime to ameliorate flushing)
- Plant sterols (1,500–2,000 mg daily)
In short, do what you can to manage your cholesterol, but don’t worry about it if your level is particularly stubborn. The average cholesterol of people who have heart disease isn’t much higher than the level of those who don’t. If high cholesterol runs in your family, concentrate on what you can control, and remember, numbers aren’t everything.
Enjoy What You've Just Read?
Get it delivered to your inbox! Signup for E-News and you'll get great content like you've just read along with other great tips and guides for Dr. Whitaker!
Meet Dr. Whitaker
For more than 30 years, Dr. Julian Whitaker has helped people regain their health with a combination of therapeutic lifestyle changes, targeted nutritional support, and other cutting-edge natural therapies. He is widely known for treating diabetes, but also routinely treats heart disease and other degenerative diseases. More About Dr. Whitaker
Dr. Julian Whitaker's Favorites
Ensure healthy blood sugar, balanced insulin levels and all-day energy.
Get a restful, recharging night's sleep -- tonight and every night.
18 powerful, clinically researched nutrients for total eye health
Item# REG (Packets)
Make GREAT HEALTH your top priority with the advanced nutritional foundation in Forward