Q&A: Selecting Children's Vitamins
Q: How do I go about finding a good children’s multivitamin?
A: When it comes to searching for quality supplements for kids, there are a number of things to keep in mind. Read labels carefully and try to follow these guidelines.
- Make sure any vitamin C is buffered. Non-buffered vitamin C is very acidic and can be hard on kids’ teeth and upset their stomachs. Look for calcium ascorbate or sodium ascorbate on labels.
- No iron. Iron is toxic if taken in large amounts, and accidental iron poisoning is a leading cause of poisoning deaths in young children. (Good-tasting chewable supplements are often the culprit.) If your child needs extra iron, purchase an iron supplement and lock it up out of reach.
- No refined sugars or artificial sweeteners. Watch out for sucrose, fructose, and sorbitol, as well as aspartame and other artificial sweeteners, which are added to many children’s supplements to improve the taste. Natural sweeteners like xylitol and stevia are much better choices.
- No hydrogenated fats or other additives. Also be on the lookout for hydrogenated oils, dyes, artificial flavorings, and other additives. Children’s vitamins can be perfectly palatable using natural ingredients such as vanilla and fruit oils and flavorings.
- Divided doses. Water-soluble nutrients flush out of the body and need to be replenished to maintain optimal levels. A supplement that recommends divided doses is far superior to a one-a-day brand.
- Taste. Make sure it tastes good. When kids are involved, taste is everything!
I hope these suggestions are helpful. Remember, it’s critical to make sure our children and grandchildren are getting the nutrients they need. — JW
Enjoy What You've Just Read?
Get it delivered to your inbox! Signup for E-News and you'll get great content like you've just read along with other great tips and guides for Dr. Whitaker!
Meet Dr. Whitaker
For more than 30 years, Dr. Julian Whitaker has helped people regain their health with a combination of therapeutic lifestyle changes, targeted nutritional support, and other cutting-edge natural therapies. He is widely known for treating diabetes, but also routinely treats heart disease and other degenerative diseases. More About Dr. Whitaker
Dr. Julian Whitaker's Favorites
Ensure healthy blood sugar, balanced insulin levels and all-day energy.
Get a restful, recharging night's sleep -- tonight and every night.
18 powerful, clinically researched nutrients for total eye health
Item# REG (Packets)
Make GREAT HEALTH your top priority with the advanced nutritional foundation in Forward