It’s no secret that what you eat has profound effects on blood glucose levels. And a healthful diet not only supports optimal blood sugar, it also helps to address factors such as excess weight and insulin resistance.
Eating for optimal blood sugar doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice flavor or variety. This salad is one of several delicious and blood-sugar-friendly recipes for diabetes I’ll be sharing with you in this blog.
Luscious Layered Salad
- 6 cups romaine lettuce, coarsely chopped
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen peas, thawed
- â?? cup low-fat mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon low-sodium seasoned salt or salt substitute
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 4 green onions (with green tops), thinly sliced
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 3 slices turkey bacon, cooked and crumbled, or 6 tablespoons soy bacon bits
- ¾ cup grated sharp, low-fat cheddar cheese, grated
Place romaine in a medium salad bowl. Spread peas evenly over romaine. Spread mayonnaise evenly over peas, and sprinkle salt over mayonnaise. Layer remaining ingredients evenly over peas and mayonnaise in this order: celery, onions, tomato, turkey bacon, and cheese. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.
Nutrition (Per Serving): 164 Calories; 10g Fat; 8g Protein; 11g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 26mg Cholesterol; 429mg Sodium