Salad: Mix and Match Style
We all know that salads can be a heathy meal, filled with health-boosting antioxidants. But let’s face it, the boring staples—lettuce, cucumbers, and tomatoes—will only pique your taste buds for so long. Instead, try experimenting by making salads “mix and match” style.
Start with one these:
- Romaine lettuce
- Mixed greens
Add three or more of these:
- Lightly steamed peapods
- Diced red, yellow, or green pepper
- Sliced carrots
- Cucumber slices
- A sprinkle of cooked corn kernels or peas
- Chopped Vidalia or green onions
- Artichoke hearts
- Black olives
- A sprinkle of sunflower seeds or almonds
- A small handful of dried cranberries
- Chopped green apple
- Avocado slices
- Tangerine slices
- Diced mango
- Sliced strawberries
Add one of these:
- Fresh caught cooked salmon
- Low-mercury tuna
- Diced baked chicken or roasted turkey
- Steamed shrimp
Top with one of these:
- Olive oil and vinegar
- Light salad dressing
- Easy Vinaigrette: Combine 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, ¼ teaspoon low sodium seasoned salt (makes 4 servings). You can also stir in parsley, basil, garlic, or other herbs—don’t be afraid to get creative.
Now it’s your turn:What’s your favorite salad combination?
You may also be interested in:
Enjoy What You've Just Read?
Get it delivered to your inbox! Signup for E-News and you'll get great content like you've just read along with other great tips and guides for Dr. Whitaker!
Meet Dr. Whitaker
For more than 30 years, Dr. Julian Whitaker has helped people regain their health with a combination of therapeutic lifestyle changes, targeted nutritional support, and other cutting-edge natural therapies. He is widely known for treating diabetes, but also routinely treats heart disease and other degenerative diseases. More About Dr. Whitaker
Dr. Julian Whitaker's Favorites
Ensure healthy blood sugar, balanced insulin levels and all-day energy.
Get a restful, recharging night's sleep -- tonight and every night.
18 powerful, clinically researched nutrients for total eye health
Item# REG (Packets)
Make GREAT HEALTH your top priority with the advanced nutritional foundation in Forward