Six Ways to Reduce Bad Fats from Your Diet
Excess fat, particularly saturated fats and trans fats can wreak havoc on your body. A diet high in these fats not only causes weight gain, but also decreases insulin sensitivity which can lead to diabetes and a host of other health problems.
Here are six tried-and-true ways to eliminate bad fats from your diet:
1. Reduce or eliminate red meat. Substitute fish or lean poultry (without the skin).
2. Avoid high-fat dairy products. You can find great substitutes for high-fat dairy products: skim milk instead of whole milk, plain, nonfat yogurt, nonfat sour cream, light cream cheese, and reduced-fat cheese.
3. Use egg whites or packaged egg white products instead of whole eggs.
4. Use healthy oils in cooking. Olive and other monounsaturated oils should be your top choices for sautéing. You can also mix these oils with vinegar to make healthy salad dressings. And for sandwiches, use mustard rather than regular mayonnaise.
5. Eat high-fat foods very sparingly. This list includes regular cheese, chocolate, cream soups, egg yolks, and fatty meats.
6. Learn to read food labels. Federal law requires that all packaged foods indicate how many grams of fat—including trans and saturated fat—are contained in each serving. The goal is to minimize your daily intake of these fats.
Now it’s your turn: What steps have you taken to limit the unhealthy fats in your diet?
You may also be interested in:
Enjoy What You've Just Read?
Get it delivered to your inbox! Signup for E-News and you'll get great content like you've just read along with other great tips and guides for Dr. Whitaker!
Meet Dr. Whitaker
For more than 30 years, Dr. Julian Whitaker has helped people regain their health with a combination of therapeutic lifestyle changes, targeted nutritional support, and other cutting-edge natural therapies. He is widely known for treating diabetes, but also routinely treats heart disease and other degenerative diseases. More About Dr. Whitaker
Dr. Julian Whitaker's Favorites
Ensure healthy blood sugar, balanced insulin levels and all-day energy.
Get a restful, recharging night's sleep -- tonight and every night.
18 powerful, clinically researched nutrients for total eye health
Item# REG (Packets)
Make GREAT HEALTH your top priority with the advanced nutritional foundation in Forward