Supplement Buyer’s Checklist
Take this list to the store to make sure you’re purchasing the best product
It’s easy to become overwhelmed by choices when you step into a health food store. Here’s a summary of what you need to keep in mind as you select your supplements:
- Read labels carefully.
- Make sure supplements contain the appropriate levels of key nutrients.
- Select the right nutrient form, i.e., natural forms of vitamin E and beta-carotene.
- Avoid products that contain artificial colors, flavors, and excessive additives and fillers.
- Buy from reputable manufacturers.
- Realize that price often has some bearing on overall quality.
- Be aware that seals of approval—or lack thereof—are not the most valid determination of a supplement’s quality.
- Consider the specific amounts of EPA and DHA when purchasing fish oil.
- Look for standardized extracts of most herbs.
- Check expiration dates—if a product doesn’t have one, don’t buy it.
- Don’t fall for marketing hype. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
More Dr. Whitaker Advice on Nutritional Support
Enjoy What You've Just Read?
Get it delivered to your inbox! Signup for E-News and you'll get great content like you've just read along with other great tips and guides for Dr. Whitaker!
Meet Dr. Whitaker
For more than 30 years, Dr. Julian Whitaker has helped people regain their health with a combination of therapeutic lifestyle changes, targeted nutritional support, and other cutting-edge natural therapies. He is widely known for treating diabetes, but also routinely treats heart disease and other degenerative diseases. More About Dr. Whitaker
Dr. Julian Whitaker's Favorites
Ensure healthy blood sugar, balanced insulin levels and all-day energy.
Get a restful, recharging night's sleep -- tonight and every night.
18 powerful, clinically researched nutrients for total eye health
Item# REG (Packets)
Make GREAT HEALTH your top priority with the advanced nutritional foundation in Forward