Tired of being overweight? Worried about diabetes? Need a little motivation to get out and get active? If so, I’d like to invite you to join hundreds of my patients and subscribers for my Diabesity Challenge this fall!
If you are a Health & Healing subscriber, you’ve probably read all about the challenge, and hopefully have already signed up.
If you aren’t a subscriber, here’s how it works: Pick a date (prior to October 31) and commit to following my mini-fast with exercise protocol for a full 12 weeks. I also recommend a handful of fat-burning and appetite-curbing nutritional supplements; however, they are an adjunct to the program, not a requirement. Here’s what a typical day of the challenge will look like:
- Engage in daily mini-fasts (no food before noon; however, water and a little coffee or tea with low-calorie sweeteners are okay).
- Continue taking all of your medications as prescribed by your doctor.
- Take 5 g of glycine mixed in water and 4 capsules of Brindall Trim prior to exercise (optional).
- Build up to at least 30 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic exercise (brisk walking, stair-climbing, slow jogging, etc.) first thing in the morning five or more days a week.
- Eat a healthy diet for lunch and dinner (low fat, low-glycemic carbohydrates, lean protein; moderate amounts of caffeine and alcohol are allowed). “Dieting” is not required, but overeating will sabotage any weight loss program.
- Take 2 capsules of Metabolic Essentials with meals twice a day (optional).
- Record your exercise sessions, evaluate your diet (poor, fair, or good), and record your weight (optional) on the Compliance Log.
That’s it! Are you in? If so, here’s what you need to know to participate in the challenge:
- If you have a serious medical condition, get clearance from your doctor.
- If you plan to use the suggested supplements (glycine, Brindall Trim, and Metabolic Essentials), order a three-month supply by calling (800) 810-6655. Metabolic Essentials is also available at drwhitaker.com.
- Select a start date (prior to October 31) and commit to sticking with the program for 12 full weeks.
- On your designated start date, record the following:
- phone number
- hip and waist circumference (measured at the largest points)
- ALL OF THE ABOVE INFORMATION IS REQUIRED TO PARTICIPATE.
Also list any medical conditions you have as well as medications you are taking, and, if possible, record your BMI, blood pressure, blood sugar, hemoglobin A1C, cholesterol, and triglycerides levels.
At the end of your designated 12 weeks, record all of the “after” information requested above weight, waist circumference, etc., on your original form (or the same piece of paper) and e-mail it to firstname.lastname@example.org. No entries will be accepted after January 31, 2011.
Winners—in categories including weight and inches lost and improvements in average blood pressure, blood sugar or A1C, and lipids—will be announced at drwhitaker.com and in a future issue of Health & Healing.