The Real Secret to Quitting Smoking
As we head into a brand new year, many of us will be making resolutions—and near the top of that list for many is to stop smoking. Few resolutions can have such a dramatic impact on your health.
Here are a few of the many beneficial changes that happen when you quit smoking:
- Within 20 minutes of your last cigarette, your blood pressure and pulse rate return to normal.
- After eight hours, your carbon monoxide levels will have dropped and your oxygen levels will return to normal.
- By the end of day two, you'll notice an improvement in your senses of taste and smell.
- After two weeks to three months without a cigarette, your risk of having a heart attack will drop, and your lung function will improve.
- After one year, your risk of heart disease will be cut by 50%, as will your risk of lung cancer after five years. In short, I don't know anyone who has stopped smoking for any length of time and is sorry they did. Your chances of being happy without cigarettes are close to 100%.
Yet, as beneficial as it is to quit smoking, it can be a tough row to hoe. Fortunately, you can make it easier.
Nicotine addiction occurs because nicotine binds with specific neuroreceptors in the brain. As the nicotine dissipates from the brain, the receptors literally cry out for more. This is the premise behind the gum and patches containing nicotine.
There's a product called Sulfonil that binds with nicotine receptors and blocks the craving even more effectively than nicotine itself. The U.S. patent states that Sulfonil is "the preferred agent for performing this function." It’s designed to be used from the day you stop smoking to reduce nicotine cravings.
Take two capsules upon awakening, one every four to six hours during the day, and two more at bedtime. You'll only need to take it for as long as cravings persist (three days to two weeks). Sulfonil is available directly from the manufacturer, Thorne Research at 800-228-1966 or www.thorne.com, or through your healthcare provider or pharmacy.
Now it’s your turn: Have you found a habit that helped you quit smoking?
You may also be interested in:
Enjoy What You've Just Read?
Get it delivered to your inbox! Signup for E-News and you'll get great content like you've just read along with other great tips and guides for Dr. Whitaker!
Meet Dr. Whitaker
For more than 30 years, Dr. Julian Whitaker has helped people regain their health with a combination of therapeutic lifestyle changes, targeted nutritional support, and other cutting-edge natural therapies. He is widely known for treating diabetes, but also routinely treats heart disease and other degenerative diseases. More About Dr. Whitaker
Dr. Julian Whitaker's Favorites
Ensure healthy blood sugar, balanced insulin levels and all-day energy.
Get a restful, recharging night's sleep -- tonight and every night.
18 powerful, clinically researched nutrients for total eye health
Item# REG (Packets)
Make GREAT HEALTH your top priority with the advanced nutritional foundation in Forward